Monday 4 November 2013

New 'old' jeans

Well, I know I’m supposed to move on to another of my Top Ten challenges, but I just had to share my finds today. Last post I told you I had to go out and buy a new pair of ‘old’ jeans. The thing is, I really need to replace my jeans and since I just cut up two of my old pairs to do a new project I was really down to the minimum when it came to bottoms.
My search started by looking into a Canadian label. There are not many jeans that are still made in Canada, but Second Denim is. I knew that Plum carries them, so I tried them. And I really want to emphasize here that I did tried them –I had about ½ dozen in the change room with me. But here’s the thing about jeans: once you find a cut you like, it’s really hard to change. You see, I’m pretty petite (which is just a really nice name barely tall enough to drive!), at five-one and a very important half, I need to make sure that my legs don’t become stubs. Also, when most rises in pants reach ‘regular’ people at a comfortable level, they are too long on me. And believe me I do not want ‘mom’ jeans even though apparently they are coming back in style. So I need to have a mid-rise jean so that on me they are just below the belly button. And I need a boot cut or a straight jean, not a skinny jean (because whom am I kidding, I’m not really skinny). I should actually be buying in petite stores, but there is a really low selection for that.
So to my disappointment in trying to support Canadian made, the Second ‘yoga’ jeans were not a good fit for me. Having said that, they are really comfy because they have a fair amount of spandex in them, and they feel almost like yoga pants –hence the name! Feel free to check them out, they are worth exploring.

Moving on in my search I headed down to ‘Frock’ on Pandosy downtown Kelowna, this is the consignment store I mentioned in my last post.  To my delight, I found a whole rack of designer jeans in many sizes! I tried just about everything in my size range and found about 4 pairs that fit the bill. They had a lot of brand new pairs, some by ‘Cult’ and other brand names including the two pair of ‘Guess’ jeans that I ended up buying. My jeans would have been over $100 brand new, and I ended up paying $50 for one and $40 for the other. I know that some people will gasp at the thought of paying more than $39.99 for a pair of Kirkland jeans, I know my husband does! But even before I was on this challenge I learned that when it comes to jeans, the cut and the fabric are what make the difference and I’ve had the cheapie version of jeans that I can get at the grocery store, they really do not feel the same as the brand name jeans I have bought. I have to give it to the jean designers; some of them do know their stuff. In the end by buying consignment, I ended up paying the price of one pair of jeans and got two!  Not bad for ‘old’ jeans…

Up next in my challenge for November: Buy local. Will keep you posted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment