Tuesday 23 July 2013

Whatever you do…DON’T PANIC

This is what I keep telling myself in order to not get totally overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information I’ve found since I started looking into this. It is also what I fear I might do –panic-, when I find myself in a bind and not know how to respond to my dilemma in a way that represents my new and fantastic vision!

This is not the first time I’ve gone all gun-ho over something that is not the norm. I was on the organic bandwagon way back when. After my son was born (12 years ago) I went gaga over all things organic, no sugar substitutes or artificial colours, free-range everything, and the like –He had no sugar (that I knew of) until after his first birthday. And for his second birthday I made a banana whole wheat cake and gave away banana muffins in the goodie-bags.  I had to be brought back into the reality train when I realized that buying organic was really expensive and that free range beef was double what my budget allowed. However, I have learned to find a happy medium that I am pretty comfortable with and which I always try to improve.

I practically live by the works of "Clean Eating" by Tosca Reno and "The Maker’s Diet" from Jordan S. Rubin. I try to adhere to the concept of ‘whole foods’ as much as possible and buy mostly foods that have ingredients I can pronounce and canned foods that include no more ingredients than what they are. On that note too, I try to support local produce as much as I can and have walked out of a store without apples because they were not local! I live in BC people, we GROW apples! My kids constantly complain about the food I serve however I have no plans of buying white bread or sugary cereals. Sometimes, though, I do cave in and I have to admit to buying less than desirable lunch items for their school grub (I have not succumbed to Dunkaroos or fruit rollups yet, but close).

So, I worry about the validity of what I’m trying to do here and how to remain true to this cause without feeling and appearing like a hypocrite. It’s taken a while to arrive at this point of conviction and so I figure it will take a while to come up with a plan that works for the lifestyle I have right now. I also hope that by starting with baby steps it will eventually get easier and before long the whole thing will seem like second nature.

I’ve talked to many friends about this, and during one of this conversations, one of my friends said to me, “Well, if you’re going to be serious about this cause, you can no longer shop at JOE” and I said “I KNOW!” But I loved JOE. Yet, I’ve always known about JOE, he’s the same as GEORGE, they have the same quality and same prices. And having worked in the industry I know HOW they get those prices (don’t worry I’m sure I’ll have a rant post about this in the future). So as much as I liked the ‘design’ of JOE, deep down I’ve always felt guilty buying there. Now I can’t, in good conscience, shop there and still have this mission. So I’m at a loss, I need new t-shirts and I don’t know where to buy them… I have a few options which include making them myself, or making do until I find some acceptable pieces. But I need some new t-shirts yesterday!

I have a book that I just found at the library that I think is going to really help me in this journey. I just read the introduction, but so far it is exactly what I’ve been feeling for the past few years in regards to the fashion industry. I won’t tell you what it is until I get more into it and decide if it will help or not…

I know I am not be able right now to buy all things organic or environmentally friendly, or all things made in Canada, but I would like to, some day. And so, I start with small steps towards that goal.

First step: read the book

Second step: get some t-shirts


Will keep you posted…

No comments:

Post a Comment