Friday 27 September 2013

Full (Closet) Disclosure

I just had three of my friends laugh out loud and give me the roll of the eyes when I told them what I did yesterday. I simply took an inventory of my closet. So I itemized each piece by category, country of origin, source and fiber content. So it is all in a neat 4-sheet excel spread sheet which include really beautiful pie charts and percentages (hey! On the upside I just learned to use a whole new part of excel that I didn’t know existed!) So it took me 3 hours yesterday, a couple at night and most of the morning to do it, so what! So, yes, I might be a type A (which of course I have to google because I don’t even know what it truly means). How I was able to still get the kids from school and make supper is nothing short of a multitasking miracle, but somehow I managed to pull it off. Now, I do not recommend doing this unless you have time to kill and a loose screw somewhere in your head.  But I really wanted to see where I was and what I have to work on. If I’m going to change my spending habits I needed to see what my habits were to begin with.  
I have to say that I expected to find some surprises, but some of the things that actually did, had never occurred to me. Things like the fact that I actually rarely look at the content label in my clothes! I just go by feel, and I was shocked at some of the contents I found in my most basics. There are things like a sweater in Polyester, Rayon and Wool mix that looks more like Wool and a pair of plaid pants that I swore were Wool which are actually a cotton/viscose mix (Apparently I need to review my wool feeler)! My Silver jeans are a mix of Cotton and Polyester and some of my basic T’s even have Rayon in the Cotton/Poly mix.


Why is this important, you ask? Well, I noticed that some of the most recent items have more fibers mixes than the older ones. How does this affect us as consumers? Well, for instance take a sweater that I thought felt like Wool, it is actually 90% Acrylic/10% Wool. Acrylic will pill and it is way less expensive than wool. It is also a synthetic fiber, which means it won’t break down like a natural fibre will.  Fabric suppliers are pushing synthetics with the excuse that it is cheaper and it makes the fabric last longer,  manufacturers like what it does to their profit margins, so they give the consumer the ‘feel’ of something high end at a much lesser cost and quality. Now, don’t go jumping to conclusions here, there is a place for polyester and nylon in our clothing, there’s no denying that it makes the fabric more durable and easier to wash, and there’s a definite benefit from that. But according to an article in 2004 Textile World, polyester production now exceeds 50 billion pounds a year, with China producing over half that volume[1], is it a coincidence that we are seeing it more and more?

That brings me to another finding on my chart. This one was not a surprise. A whopping 56% of my clothing came from China. Check out my chart. But you will notice that the next big number is from Canada and that includes handmade items. This is probably the hardest chart to change but working on increasing local numbers might be a start. 

The best chart by far was the one that outlines where I got the clothing from. It turns out that my frugalness leads up to sustainability. The fact that I welcome hand-me downs (you know who you are…thank you!) and that I occasionally shop at thrift stores, made up a large chunk of my sources for clothing.  Things that I make as well as my favourite pieces from artisan designers go under one of a kind. Chain midrange encompasses anything at the mall and discount/fast fashion are stores like Wal-mart or Superstore. What this chart did show me was that because most of my clothing comes from random sources, it makes it difficult to keep up a certain standard of quality and style. I think I need to be more intentional when making purchases rather than buying what’s on sale or taking everything that comes my way. 


Oh, do you want to know how many items I had? Well, I counted 90 pieces including all light jackets and fashion t-shirts. There were a few tank tops and T’s that were not worth mentioning because they are close to being pajamas. I also did not count any exercise gear or shoes or coats. But I’m guessing that you’re thinking that that’s a lot of clothing…well think again. My closet is barely the size of a hall closet and I have a 3-drawer dresser which houses unmentionables as well. So it is not big. According to Elizabeth Cline in “Overdressed”, the average (US) consumer buys about 60 pieces of clothing a year! She herself had over 300 pieces in her closet disclosure. Where do you rank? How big is your closet? What type of items do you buy? I would love to know…


[1] Cline, Elizabeth, (2012)“Overdressed: the shockingly high cost of Cheap Fashion”, Penguin Group, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment